200th Anniversary Celebrations 2017
We are celebrating 200 years of Methodism in Wokingham over approximately 200 days with events that started on Friday 19th May. Below is a list of planned events for your diaries:
- 19th - 21st May Exhibition in the Rose Room (Fri, Sat 10-4, Sun 12-4)
- 21st May Aldersgate Sunday All Age Worship: Revd Catherine Bowstead – Birthday Cake
- 24th June Hog Roast at WADE (40 Reading Road, Wokingham) 17.00 – 20.00 Tickets £15 (children £5)
- 25th June Guest preacher: Revd Linda Woollacott
- 15th July Desert Island Discs 19.00 A fun evening with local Castaways and a special historical guest Tickets £5 including tea and eats
- 17th September Harvest Festival: Revd Catherine Bowstead
Service followed by a lunch
- 13th & 14th October Church Concert - postponed
- 15th October Guest preacher: Revd David Lawton
- 2nd & 3rd December Festival of Angels replaces Tree Festival - note change of date
All profits from the events will be given to the Methodist Church in Haiti.
Report: 200th Anniversary Exhibition
The successful '200' exhibition over the three days 19-21 May proved to be of great interest to its visitors. Copies of former Trust Deeds and Trustee lists were available to view as well as photos from the late 1800s right through to the present day. Newspaper cuttings, programmes and magazines were also on display, alongside an 18ft long timeline of events in the life of our church from 1817 to 2017. The tablecloths embroidered with names of church members, which dated from 1950s onwards, were also a big draw, with people trying to find both their own names and those of old friends, bringing back memories of all those who have been associated with Wokingham Methodist Church over many years.
Note: the exhibition will be available again during the town Heritage Weekend (9th September 10.00 - 4.00, 10th September 12.00 - 4.00) and also during the Festival of Angels (2nd & 3rd December).